Thursday 2 January 2014

Best friend comes for Christmas/ICE STORM

    When I lived in NYC I had the divine good fortune to meet my best friend. He was 17 and spoke hardly any English and was working as an assistant to a NASTY dogwalker; a colleague of mine. She was one of those "friends" that was actually an enemy you keep closer.
    She was taking advantage of his status in the country and paid him very little, even though I could see immediately, he was a natural dogtrainer, and was amazing with dogs. While supporting him in leaving her and starting a business on his own, we became close friends. I'm 21 years his senior and he once asked me to teach him to be a dogtrainer. I taught him everything I could think of to teach and he has never ceased teaching ME since the day we met. We have been inseparable emotionally for almost 20 years now, but physically we were separated 8 years ago by legality statuses and the Canada/U.S. border (not to mention a few States and Provinces and a lack of finances for travel.)


When I left to come back to Canada, we promised we'd be spending Christmas together and did when we could but every year we strove to get him legal to come to Canada and spend Christmas here.
It finally became official this November and this is the diary of our amazing celebration!





We always loved to thrift shop when we lived in NYC and so whenever I shopped here,


 I always had him with me in spirit. How unbelievably fun to finally, actually have him here shopping with me, as well. We tore it up, we popped some tags, it was fuckin awesome!(<---Macklemore)


My stepson had gone to visit NYC once when I wasn't there and although they had never met, he put the SS up in his apartment and showed him around. On Sunday, we went to the Gay Village to a place SS suggested, the Garage and bestie got cruised and flirted with by the super cute waiter. We also almost ended up at Steamworks but for the fact that the boys didn't think I could pass for a Trannie.


During his stay the lights went out in Georgia! er, ah, Toronto since we had an ICE STORM and hundreds of thousands of people were without power. I think, our neighbours had been feeling sorry for us up until that point, everyone asking as they were if we were "warm enough" inside the Airstream. We have a propane furnace and although being plugged in to our neighbour's electrical outlet made it easier to run than recharging our batteries with our tow vehicle every 8 hours or so for an hour or two, we were the only ones living on the street for a few days!
  My bestie took it all in natural stride and we joined him at his club LA Fitness for luxuriating showers, swims in a salt water pool and he lolled about nightly on the pull-out sofa with the 4 inch thick Costco Memory Foam adorned by three furry labradors. (The night hubbie forgot to top up the propane, he says he wore Charles, "as a scarf"! I was just about to take the comforter off my bed and join them in the front of the trailer when hubs, the ultimate hunter and gatherer returned with said propane!)


Of course I couldn't wait to show him my little slice of heaven on the Bay and our other Airstream, the Baby Whale, which is still parked there despite the nasty neighbour complaining to the City that she was an EYESORE!


EYESORE!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?! Pfffft!




No comments:

Post a Comment